Delmarva Power's full emergency response organization is responding to outages resulting from Tuesday's storm. We will continue working safely and as quickly as possible until all customers are restored. To report an outage or downed wire, customers should call 1-800-898-8042 or report and track their outage through our mobile app or our website. For the latest updates on number of customers restored visit our news section.
For Immediate Release
NEWARK, Del. - With home heating season underway
and more cold weather in the forecast, Delmarva Power would like to remind
customers to heat their homes safely.
Whether customers are using electric heat, natural gas, fireplaces,
furnaces, space heaters or other heating devices, safe useage and proper
function is critical. It is important to make sure proper maintenance is
performed prior to using any heat source.
Natural gas systems, chimneys that vent fireplaces and
furnaces should be properly cleaned to reduce the risk of fire and carbon
monoxide buildup. Space heaters are a convenient way to warm a small area but
improper space heater usage can lead to fires and possible injuries. If a generator
is being utilized, always follow the manufacturer's operating instructions and
never operate a generator indoors. The potential for carbon monoxide poisioning
is always an elevated possibility if home heating equipment isn't properly
tested, serviced and maintained. Please keep children and animals away from all
heating units and devices.
If a natural gas leak is suspected, call the Delmarva
Power natural gas emergency hotline, 302-454-0317. For more information about
staying safe around electric and natural gas heat please visit
www.delmarva.com. Follow us on Facebook at
www.facebook.com/delmarvapower and on Twitter at
www.twitter.com/delmarvaconnect. Our mobile app is available at www.delmarva.com/mobileapp.