Delmarva Power's full emergency response organization is responding to outages resulting from yesterday's storm. We will continue working safely and as quickly as possible until all customers are restored. To report an outage or downed wire, customers should call 1-800-898-8042 or report and track their outage through our mobile app or our website. For the latest updates on number of customers restored visit our news section.
For Immediate Release
, Del- Delmarva Power
reminds customers that electricity is a powerful and potentially deadly force.
With yard cleanup and tree trimming chores in full swing, Delmarva Power urges
customers to avoid power lines when using equipment such as; ladders,
scaffolding, and tree saws. Certain critical clearances are required by law,
and a minimum of 10 feet must be maintained when working below or adjacent to
"With the arrival of the fall season,
the opportunities for outside projects and yard cleanup become popular weekend
activities," said Gary Stockbridge, President of Delmarva Power. "At Delmarva Power we begin and end every day
with safety and encourage customers to do the same. Especially when working on any backyard
cleanup project. Take your time, focus and carefully check all of your
equipment for damages as well as safely plan your project prior to getting
started. Be sure to communicate your work plan to anyone helping you with the
project to eliminate surprises and keep everyone on the same page," Stockbridge
Additionally, it is important to
consider any potential work site challenges like potholes, roaming pets,
children at play and the occasional windy day. Never touch a power line that
may be in your work area. Remember to
call 811 before you dig and always report downed power lines immediately.
The cooler autumn weather also prompts
the use of fireplaces, furnaces, space heaters and other heating devices. It is
important to make sure proper maintenance is performed prior to using any heat
source especially natural gas units.
Chimneys that vent fireplaces and
furnaces should be properly cleaned to reduce the risk of fire and carbon
monoxide buildup. Space heaters are a convenient way to warm a small area but
improper space heater usage can lead to fires and possible injuries. Always
follow the manufacturer's operating instructions.
The potential for carbon monoxide poisoning
is always an elevated possibility if home heating equipment isn't properly
tested, serviced and maintained.
If a natural gas leak is suspected,
call the Delmarva Power natural gas emergency hotline, 302-454-0317. To report
downed power lines please call: 1-800-898-8042.
Always call 811 before you dig.
For more information about staying
safe around electricity and natural gas please visit www.delmarva.com.