For Immediate Release
Delmarva Power Urges Customers to Start Preparation Now
NEWARK , Del. -- Delmarva Power is preparing for the first major snowstorm of the season, bringing with it the potential for strong winds and significant snow accumulations in some areas. Heavy, wet snow and strong winds could bring down tree limbs onto wires, resulting in power outages. Outages can also occur due to drivers skidding into utility poles during storms.
Extra crews and customer care personnel are prepared to work throughout the storm event. When road conditions become treacherous due to ice or heavy snow, Delmarva Power will equip vehicles with chains to safely respond to outage calls. Delmarva Power will coordinate its power restoration efforts with emergency management personnel and local government officials.
If Power Goes Out
Customers are asked to call Delmarva Power at 1-800-898-8042 to report outages - even if their neighbors may have already called. Delmarva Power's automated outage reporting system is the most effective way to report an outage because it immediately feeds information into computers that rapidly identify problem areas and dispatch repair crews, so that power can be restored as quickly as possible.
Delmarva Power strongly urges everyone to follow these important safety tips:
· Stay away from downed lines and report them immediately by calling 1-800-898-8042.
· Never attempt to remove trees or limbs from any utility line. Assume all objects touching a power line are energized.
· If using a portable generator during a power outage, always operate it outside. Do not operate a portable generator near doors, windows or in garages to prevent deadly carbon monoxide from entering the house.
Delmarva Power urges customers to stay safe and be prepared. Here are some additional tips:
· Assemble an emergency storm kit. Include a battery-powered radio or television, flashlight, first-aid kit, battery-powered or windup clock, extra batteries, non-perishable food, manual can opener, bottled water, any necessary medications, and a list of emergency phone numbers.
· Maintain a supply of extra blankets.
· Ensure that all household members have a warm coat, gloves, hat and water-resistant boots.
· Make sure your home has a telephone with a cord or cell phone to use as a backup. Cordless telephones require electricity to operate and won't work if there is an outage.
· Identify a place for emergency shelter in case of an extended outage. It is important that customers with special needs or their caregivers take responsibility to make arrangements ahead of time to prepare for potentially long-lasting service interruptions.
Additional emergency preparedness and safety information may be found at www.delmarva.com .
If you experience an outage or see a downed or damaged power line, call Delmarva Power:
· Delaware : New Castle County: 1-800-898-8042; Kent and Sussex counties: 1-800-898-8045
· Maryland : Cecil and Harford counties: 1-800-898-8042; Eastern Shore: 1-800-898-8045
· To report a Delmarva natural gas emergency in New Castle County, Del.: 302-454-0317
Delmarva Power, a public utility owned by Pepco Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: POM), provides safe and reliable energy to nearly 498,000 electric delivery customers in Delaware and Maryland and over 123,000 natural gas delivery customers in northern Delaware .