For Immediate Release
Utility Urges Customers to Plan Ahead
SALISBURY , Md. - The first major snowstorm of the season is expected to hit the Delmarva Peninsula this weekend with weather reports calling for snow mixed with sleet, ice and freezing rain. Delmarva Power has adequate crews available in case of power outages. To report outages, call 1-800-898-8045.
Delmarva Power urges customers to be safe during the upcoming storm. And, just as the power company prepares to deal with the storm, we recommend that customers also prepare. Here are some tips:
· Assemble emergency "storm kits." Include a battery-powered radio or television, flashlight, first-aid kit, battery-powered or windup clock, extra batteries, non-perishable food, special needs items such as medications, and a list of important phone numbers.
· Maintain a supply of extra blankets.
· Ensure that each household member has a warm coat, gloves, hat and water-proof boots.
· Make sure your house has a telephone with a cord or cell phone to use as a back-up. Cordless phones require electricity to operate and won't work if there is a power outage.
Delmarva Power also strongly urges everyone to follow some important safety tips:
· Never attempt to remove trees or limbs from any utility line. Assume all objects touching a power line are energized.
· If using a portable generator during a power outage, always operate it outside, away from doors and windows to avoid deadly carbon monoxide fumes.
It is important that customers with special needs or their caregivers take responsibility to make arrangements ahead of time to prepare for potentially long-lasting service interruptions.
Additional storm preparation and safety information may be found at www.delmarva.com.
Delmarva Power, a public utility owned by Pepco Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: POM), provides safe and reliable energy to more than 500,000 electric delivery customers in Delaware and Maryland and over 121,000 natural gas delivery customers in northern Delaware .