May is National Electrical Safety Month
Friday, May 03, 2013
NEWARK, Del. – May is National Electrical Safety Month and Delmarva Power would like to share the following tips to help keep you safe when working with or around electricity:
- If you see a downed wire, stay away and call the Delmarva Power emergency outage number: 1-800-898-8042.
- If you plan on doing any digging, call 811, the national “One Call Notification System” number, so that any utility lines can be marked prior to construction.
- Remind children to stay away from electric facilities such as substations, transmission towers and pad mounted transformers, also known as “green boxes.”
- When carrying long or tall items, such as ladders, tree saws and pool cleaning equipment, hold them parallel to the ground. Look up before you raise them into the air to be sure they’re clear of any power lines.
- Remember that electricity can move through conductive materials, such as water, metal, wood, aluminum, string and plastics.
- Stay away from overhead lines. Be watchful when trimming trees or working near the electrical connection to your property.
“At Delmarva Power we make safety the most important part of everything we do,” said Gary Stockbridge, President of Delmarva Power. “We kindly ask that you take the time to follow these simple safety tips as well as share them with others.”
Find additional information by visiting www.delmarva.com, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/delmarvapower and on Twitter at www.twitter.com/delmarvaconnect. Our mobile app is available at www.delmarva.com/mobileapp.
About Delmarva Power: Delmarva Power, a public utility owned by Pepco Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: POM), provides safe and reliable energy to more than 500,000 electric delivery customers in Delaware and Maryland and nearly 124,000 natural gas delivery customers in northern Delaware .