Delmarva Power Stresses the Importance of Natural Gas Storm Safety
Saturday, August 27, 2011
Flood Water Can Affect Proper Function of Natural Gas Appliances
Wilmington, Del. – Delmarva Power asks its natural gas customers in New Castle County, Del. to be mindful of the danger of flood water and natural gas appliances. For many, gas appliances such as hot water heaters, clothes dryers, furnaces, stoves and ovens are located on the bottom level of the home. In severe weather these areas of the home can become flooded extinguishing pilot lights.
In the event of a flood, if you are able, turn your appliance gas valve off. Refer to the manufacturer’s instructions on how to turn off the appliance valve. After a flood, natural gas appliances should not be used until inspected by a licensed contractor for damage.
If you smell a strong gas odor after a flood
- Delmarva Power advises customers that if you notice a strong natural gas odor, or if there is other evidence of a natural gas leak, do not enter the premises.
- If you smell the odor of natural gas inside your home, please leave immediately.
- As a precaution, do not smoke, make a spark or flame, switch the lights on/off or raise/lower the windows.
- From a safe place, call Delmarva Power’s natural gas emergency number at 1-302-454-0317.
- Do not return until it is deemed safe.
Additional natural gas safety and storm preparedness information may be found at www.delmarva.com .
Delmarva Power, a public utility owned by Pepco Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: POM), provides safe and reliable energy to more than 500,000 electric delivery customers in Delaware and Maryland and over 121,000 natural gas delivery customers in northern Delaware .