Delmarva Power Offers Ways to Save on Summer Energy Bills
Friday, May 28, 2010
Customers encouraged to reduce electricity use for lower bills
SALISBURY, Md.– With those hot, humid summer temperatures on the horizon, Delmarva Power reminds customers of ways to save on their monthly energy bill by reducing their electricity use.
The reminder to conserve energy to save money comes at a time when people are adjusting their thermostats to cope with the warmer temperatures.
“Hot weather can have a major impact on energy costs and that’s why we strongly recommend that our customers continue to take steps to conserve energy and save money,” said John Allen, Vice President, Delmarva Power Region.
Delmarva Power suggests the following ways for customers to save on their summer bills:
- Register to use My Account, a Web-based interactive tool that is free and easy to use, at www.delmarva.com. My Account provides customers with a detailed analysis of their specific electricity use and offers ways they can reduce their usage to save on their monthly energy bills.
- Set your air conditioner’s thermostat between 75-78 degrees. After removing the humidity, this can be a comfortable temperature range. Remember every degree raised on the thermostat can save as much as three percent on the energy bill.
- Have the air conditioning system checked by a licensed technician to ensure it is in good working condition.
- Change your air conditioner filter. A dirty filter causes the unit to run longer and inefficiently.
- Close window shades, blinds, or drapes to block the sunlight during the hottest part of the day.
- Move lamps, TVs, and other heat-producing items away from the air conditioner’s thermostat. Heat from these appliances could cause the air conditioner to run longer than necessary. Turn these appliances off when they're not being used.
- Check that all windows and doors are tightly closed to keep cool air in and hot air out.
- When possible, cook and use other heat-generating appliances, such as washers, dryers and dishwashers in the early morning or late evening when it usually is cooler.
- Wash clothes in cold water and line dry.
- Use dishwashers only when fully loaded. Dishwashers use the same amount of electricity whether they're full or empty. Use the air-dry option if your unit has one.
- Consider preparing light summer meals that don't require a lot of cooking. If possible, use an outdoor grill or microwave oven for cooking.
Delmarva Power customers in Maryland can take advantage of the following energy conservation programs:
- Compact Fluorescent Light (CFL) Discounts – With Delmarva Power’s discount program on select ENERGY STAR® qualified CFLs, customers can replace standard incandescent bulbs with more efficient CFLs. Save $1.50 on each single CFL and $3 on multi-packs when you shop at participating stores. For a list of participating retailers, go to www.delmarva.com.
- Appliance Rebate Program – Delmarva Power residential customers can receive cash rebates up to $50 on select ENERGY STAR® qualified refrigerators, room air conditioners and certain energy-efficient water heaters purchased at any retail store.
Delmarva Power customers in Maryland can also save energy and money through the following “Home Energy Savings” programs sponsored by EmPOWER Maryland:
- The Income Eligible Energy Efficiency Program provides customized energy-saving products and services to eligible residential customers - at no additional cost.
- Energy Wise Rewards is a program that will provide credits on energy bills by allowing Delmarva Power to cycle a customer’s air conditioner during periods of high energy use.
- A Quick Home Energy Check-up is an affordable program that brings a Home Check-up Professional into the home to show customers ways to use energy wisely.
- The Home Performance with ENERGY STAR® Audit is a comprehensive, whole-house approach to improving a home’s energy efficiency, comfort and safety.
- The HVAC Efficiency Program offers incentives and rebates for the installation and tune-ups of high-efficiency HVAC equipment.
Delmarva Power encourages customers to visit www.delmarva.com for additional information on saving energy and money in their homes or businesses. The company also offers Budget Billing, a fixed payment plan based on the customer’s 12-month average bill. Customers can enroll either online or by contacting Delmarva Power Customer Care at 1-800-375-7117.
Delmarva Power, a public utility owned by Pepco Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: POM), provides safe and reliable energy to nearly 500,000 electric delivery customers in Delaware and Maryland and over 123,000 natural gas delivery customers in northern Delaware.