Delmarva Power Unveils New Web Site Outage Maps
Thursday, February 26, 2009
Enhancements Provide More Information to Customers
SALISBURY , Md. -- More information in less time – that’s the goal of Delmarva Power’s newest, innovative power outage maps located on its Web site, www.delmarva.com.
“Now the customer will have the ability to locate a power outage with greater accuracy,” said Delmarva Power Vice President John Allen.
With just the click of a mouse, the Outage Event messaging is activated. The new interactive outage maps use Microsoft Virtual Earth technology to zoom in on power outages. By placing a cursor over a location, users will view details such as the number of customers without power, ZIP codes affected and crew status information.
“With this new system, the customer will receive more knowledge and understanding of Delmarva Power’s restoration process throughout our service territory,” said Allen. The maps update every 10 minutes with current outage information.
To view the new maps, go to www.delmarva.com and click on View Outage Maps.
The following guide is posted on the Web site to help you navigate:
- Click on Summary to the left of the map and then click “Outages by County” to view a table with county totals for customers affected by an outage.
- The Legend tab to the left of the map shows how the color-coded icons indicate the number and location of customers currently without power.
- In the Legend tab, you can select Locations to view outages by location, or Areas to view outages by ZIP code.
- Click the arrows in the upper left corner of the map to navigate, or you can use your mouse by holding the left mouse button to drag the map to the location you desire.
- Click the + and – sign in the upper left corner of the map to zoom in and out or you can double click the left mouse button. You can zoom as close as 1 mile from the location.
- To find out information about a specific area, place your mouse over the colored outage area or outage triangle. A dialog box will automatically open.
- A colored polygon may appear around a triangle. The colored polygon is created using the transformer locations to show you the affected outage area. A polygon may not be visible due to the zoom level of the map or if not enough transformers are involved to make a polygon.
- A stacked triangle denotes that there are multiple outages grouped together at this zoom level. You can zoom in to see the individual outages.
- A hard hat symbol over the triangle indicates that a crew is on site. A hard hat is not displayed over stacked triangles. You will need to zoom in to the individual outage.
- The Go To tab to the lower left of the map allows you to navigate to a specific address or area of your choice using ZIP code or county name.
- Use the Favorites tab to save a map view for later use.
Delmarva Power, a public utility owned by Pepco Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: POM), provides safe and reliable energy to nearly 500,000
electric delivery customers in Delaware and Maryland and over 121,000 natural gas delivery customers in northern Delaware .