Delmarva Power: Decorate, Entertain Safely
Monday, December 10, 2007
Company provides electrical safety tips for holiday season
WILMINGTON, De – With the winter holiday season here, more people will be relying on electricity to decorate and entertain in their homes. To ensure the season is celebrated safely, Delmarva Power offers the following electrical and fire safety tips:
- When putting up outside decorations make certain you and any objects you may be carrying, such as a ladder, do not come in contact with power lines. Carry ladders and other equipment parallel to the ground.
- Use holiday decorations that are made of flame resistant, flame retardant, non-combustible material.
- If using a live or cut tree, check the water level in the tree stand daily. This is done to make sure your tree does not become too dry, which is a fire hazard.
- Do not overload extension cords.
- Purchase only lights and electrical decorations bearing the UL or Underwriter's Laboratory tag, which means they have met safety standards. Also, be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for installation and maintenance.
- Before using decorations that require electricity, inspect them and replace any that are frayed or damaged.
- Delmarva Power does not recommend the use of candles. But, if used, they should be kept away from trees, decorations or other items that can catch fire.
- Make sure smoke alarms are in working order.
- When cooking for visitors, be sure to keep a close eye on all cooking appliances.
- Turn off all string lights and other decorations that use electricity before going to bed or
leaving home. Extinguish all candles and keep matches out of sight and reach of children.
Editor’s Note: For more electrical safety tips, visit www.delmarva.com.
Delmarva Power, a public utility owned by Pepco Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: POM), provides safe and reliable energy to more than 500,000 electric delivery customers in Delaware, Maryland and Virginia and over 121,000 natural gas delivery customers in northern Delaware .