Top 10 Tips
1. Keep your heating equipment well tuned with periodic maintenance by a professional service representative.
2. Keep your cooling system well tuned with periodic maintenance by a professional service representative. Ask your service representative how the energy efficiency of the system may be increased.
3. Insulate your attic floor or top-floor ceiling to a minimum of R-49 for these spaces. R-values or numbers indicate the resistance of an insulation material to heat flow. The higher the R-number, the more effective the insulating capability. R-values appear on the packages of insulation materials.
4. Buy a high-efficiency water heater. When you need a new water heater, purchase a unit with a high Energy Factor (EF) rating. EF ratings—such as those of .91 and above—correspond with greater efficiency. The higher the rating, the more efficiently the unit will operate.
5. Use cold water rather than hot to operate your food disposal. Cold water also helps get rid of grease by solidifying it, so it can then be ground up and washed away.
6. When buying a dishwasher, look for an energy-efficient model with air power and/or overnight dry settings. These features automatically turn off the dishwasher after the rinse cycle. This can save you up to 10 percent of your dishwashing energy costs.
7. Don’t keep your refrigerator or freezer too cold. Recommended temperatures: 38 degrees F. to 40 degrees F. for fresh food compartments of the refrigerator; 5 degrees F. for the freezer compartment. Separate freezers for long-term storage should be kept at zero degrees F. Open the refrigerator or freezer door only when necessary, and don’t hold it open any longer than necessary.
8. Take showers rather than tub baths, but limit both your showering time and the water flow if you want to save energy.
9. Use compact fluorescent bulbs. They produce about three to four times as much light per watt as incandescent bulbs. While compact fluorescents are initially more expensive, they last up to 10 times longer. Compact fluorescent bulbs work best in the kitchen, bathroom or a work area. Deluxe white fluorescent bulbs produce the most pleasing light.
10. For more energy conservation tips, please download our 85 Ways to Save Brochure.