Ways to Save on Energy Bills
Energy-Saving Tips for Businesses
From turning off the lights at night to properly maintaining equipment, there are many easy improvements business owners can make in order to save energy and money.
Here are some simple steps you can take to begin making improvements today.
- Turn off lights when not in use.
- Replace incandescent lights with energy-saving compact fluorescent lights.
- Install “occupant sensors” to automatically turn lights off and on.
Heating and Cooling (HVAC) Systems
- Have HVAC units maintained properly throughout the year. Clean coils annually. Ensure filers are changed or cleaned on a regular basis.
- Adjust the thermostat during unoccupied times or install a programmable thermostat.
- Make sure radiators, air intake vents, etc., are not obstructed so that air can flow freely.
- Turn off equipment when not in use. This includes computers!
- Maintain your equipment throughout the year.
- Block direct sunlight shining through windows in the summer.
- Let the sun in during the day in the winter.
- Check windows for drafts and seal and caulk where necessary
- Keep external doors closed.
If you need more ways to save, contact us for historical data about energy use in your business. Call 1-800-375-7117, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Mon. – Fri., to speak with a Delmarva Power Customer Service Representative today!